Friday, March 23, 2012

Journal 17

1. What is the significance of the poem’s epigraph? How does it relate to Prufrock?

The epigraph tells about a man, Count Guido, who is in hell. It relates to Prufrock because Prufrock is in hell on earth. He lives in a world into which he does not fit and does not belong.

2. Make a list of questions that Prufrock asks. Do you see a pattern/theme to these questions or are they random?


“To lead you to an overwhelming question…Oh, do not ask, ‘What is it?’” (10-11).
“To wonder, ‘So I dare?’ and, ‘Do I dare?’” (38).
“Do I dare disturb the universe?” (45-46).
“So how should I presume?” (54).
“And how should I begin?” (69)
“And watched the smoke that rises from the pipes of lonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows?...” (71-72).
“Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?” (122).

The questions are things Prufrock asks himself. He is very insecure and unsure of how to go about living life.

3. What do you think is Prufrock’s main flaw/problem?

Prufrock’s main problem is that he has no self esteem or confidence and he cannot show emotion. Therefore, he leads a very dull and boring life because he is too afraid to live on the edge.

4. Why do you think this is called a love song? In what way is it a love song?

The poem was called a “love song” because Prufrock could not act normal with women. The title is ironic because he likes women from a distance, but can’t actually talk to them or “sing his song” to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment